Monday, July 26, 2010

I think I'm Gonna Do It

Ever since I got out the military in'08, I tossed around the idea of getting dreads. I was tired of relaxing and flat ironing my hair. Plus, hair stylists are expensive in the DMV area (compared the $20 Dominicans in NYC). Well, the idea quickly got tossed out the window when Hubby gave me the "You must be crazy" look. Since then I've tried twists, braids & weaves. Though they were cute, they didn’t last because of my hair length. One of my girlfriends turned to sister locs back in '05 and at first, I didn’t like them. Now, 5 years later, they are gorgeous! So I went back to the Jury (Hubby & 3 kids) to plead my case....well, I actually texted them...I figured the blow would be softer. It was a split decision - Hubby, yes & daughter, no (the other two were boys and they didn’t care). I thought I would have to battle him but it was actually my daughter's vote I had to fight for. Well after I showed her some pics and You Tube videos, I got her vote! So I've officially began my quest for sister locs. I've had natural hair for about a year so I'm not cutting anything but I'm starting with two strand twists. My girlfriends (who are also locticians) thought that it would be a good to start with these just to make sure that this is something I want to do. Here are some pics:




NubianlockedPrincess, Curloc & all you beautiful dreaded ladies out there....let me know feel..should I take the plunge? Natural & relaxed ladies, I want to hear from you too....

5 comments:

Audrey Frelx said...

Hi, Shelly!!! Good to hear from you and thanks for the visit, so glad you dropped by!

Wish I could help you but I'm not very good when it comes to hair -- at all! Because of the heat, I recently had mine cut to shoulder length and I usually just flat-iron mine; bought the Instyler and I love it!!! Otherwise, I don't do anything much to make hair other than wash, condition, and set it!

Audrey Frelx said...

P.S. I think you look beautiful on your "About Me" Profile picture -- what's wrong with that?

ShellyWorld said...

Audrey,

Half of that is a weave and for the price of hair and getting it put in....It isnt worth it in the long run. I sent you a PM on the Cricut site. Reply when you can. Thx

Unknown said...

Looks good! I agree with you about hair salon fees in the DMV area - its outrageous. I normally wiat until a visit home to Queens, and I get my hair done there. Otherwise, I do it myself. Good luck with the locs!!!

M.M. DeZigns said...

I love the sister loc idea! I say go for it. And you can do so much with those. And whoever started you off with the twist did an excellent job!

Post a Comment